Summer Comfort Feast
- fresh tomatoes!
- chicken/vegetable broth
- flour and butter (to thicken)
- garlic, onion, and cloves (fresh/ground)
- fresh loaf of bread
EQUIPMENT: large pot, hand mixer/food mill
Every meal is marinated in a wicked soundtrack. This Friday’s soup and grilled cheese combo was brought to you from the land down-under: “Business as Usual,” the hit debut album of Aussie band Men at Work. Who can it be now?
I followed the instructions and proportions from the Garden Fresh Tomato Soup recipe on Allrecipes.
- Combine 4 cups chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup onion, 2 cups chicken broth, and 1 tsp. ground cloves in large pot. Boil lightly on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Run soup through food mill, remove larger chunks of skin/pulp.
- Create a ‘roux’ of 2 tbsp. flour and 2 tbsp. butter in the large pot.
- Add processed soup slowly back into pot with roux.
- Whisk together and add a sprinkle of salt and sugar. Serve hot!
PRO-TIPS: As I prepared the roux and my sister ran the soup through with a hand mixer, my friend prepared scrumptious Grilled Cheese Sandwiches using our waffle press.
- Grate a variety of cheeses
- Butter outsides of bread and sandwich the cheese
- Grill in waffle press or using stove top pan
Kick back in front of a fan with some friends and comfort food this Friday!
Remember to dip!
New Friday Night Feasts every week, Friday 😉